I have to admit when I was asked if I could slipcover over these Arhaus chairs, I wasn’t sure it would work. With the attached pillow-type curved back, I knew it would be a challenge. I took that challenge and was determined to find a solution so that my friend could get updated chairs to put in her room.
I decided to make a partial under-slip for the top part of the chair to smooth out the back first. Then I could treat the back as normal. It ended up looking similar to a wingback. Easy-peasy.
My client decided on a Robert Allen print that would work well with her floor rug, compliment her brown leather couch and give the chair a fresh updated current look. The print would also work well with the décor and fabrics in the adjoining rooms so if she wanted to move things around they would look great no matter where they landed.
So with my scissors, pins, and bobbins all loaded I began the transformation. I was antsy to see the end result. But slipcovers are a patient and methodical process….there would be no races on these. There was a lot to match and think through. Because of the directional print with a repeat, I had my client order extra fabric. I had to be very careful in cutting my pieces and matching. I wanted to match as much as I could not only on each chair singly but in relationship to each other and from the back view to give the chairs a professional clean and upholstered look. I think I achieved that.
Things were coming together great when we had a tornado warning and a two-hour power outage in the last couple hours of work. So the dogs and I hunkered down in the basement, with the slipcovers, trimming and clipping seams.
Initially we thought we would do a Velcro closure on the back, but with the extra tuck in and small “wings”, I was able to make a solid back for a cleaner very fitted look. You just slip it on, position it, tuck, smooth and wallah! You can hardly tell it is a slipcover. I am so happy with it and hope my client is too.