A couple of years ago I purchased these fixer upper stools from the “Joyous Junque” yard sale at the Catholic Church in Moneta Virginia. I think I paid $20 a piece for them, my small part of the over $50,000 they raise and donate to various charities annually (click link above to read their incredible story). They definitely needed work but I saw potential and at the very least they would serve a purpose until I could get something else for my kitchen bar area.
The first thing I did was spray them with bleach water, hose them down and cut off the nasty dirty vinyl flamingo pink cushions. I wanted to be sure to start with a clean slate. I took a wire brush and scraped away any loose pieces. After drying in the sun, I spray painted them with a creamy white. Spray paint was the way to go to make sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. A few paint cans and a sore trigger finger later, I was ready to make new cushions.
First I made a template of the seat taking in to account the curved back and cut around the front legs. I traced the template onto my 2” foam and cut it with my handy dandy electric knife. Fun fact…I used to work at J.C. Penney when we first got married in the houseware department. I bought it for next to nothing for our first Thanksgiving together and used it for 35 years! It has now been designated for my foam projects.
I was pretty happy with they way they turned out but in true ‘Denise’ fashion, I got bored with them and wanted to change them up again. A few blog posts ago I talked about Inspiration and how you never know when or where it will strike. Well, this past year I binged a bit on the Netflix series, “Grace and Frankie”. What does this have to do with my stools, you say? Well, Grace (Jane Fonda) and Frankie (Lily Tomlin) live in a gorgeous beach house in La Jolla, CA. She had these slipcovered stools that I just loved and I thought, well, I can do something like that! So that became my next inspiration for phase two of these repurposed stools.
I decided on this high performance fabric from Revolution, called Beauchamp. It is washable, bleachable, lightweight but provides good coverage and drapes wonderfully. It was also so easy to sew and work with. My biggest challenge was creating the template to fit the stools and match up the stripes. The extra time spent on making the template paid off and the fabric had enough give for me to be able to match up the stripes without too much trouble and they drape perfectly. To help the covers stay in place, I sewed two ties into the back seat seam allowance that tie to the back to side posts. Invisible.
I absolutely love the way they turned out! I guess the true test will be when my grandkids are back and they crawl up and down. See, there is still some life in these old discarded stools.